Teeth Cleanings & Dental Checkups
Family Dental Exams in Lakeland FL
If you have been putting off a dental exam and professional teeth cleaning, you are putting yourself at risk for multiple issues that can affect your health. Without routine preventive care, including teeth cleanings, you can develop cavities, gum disease, and other oral health issues that are not noticed until they require serious intervention.
A few reasons to undergo routine dental exams and teeth cleanings include:
- Stronger, healthier teeth. Routine cleanings help prevent tooth decay.
- Preventing gum disease. Poor oral hygiene is the number one cause of gum disease. Gum disease causes pain, swelling, and bleeding gums. Left untreated, it leads to infection and tooth loss.
- Oral cancer screening. Oral cancers do not usually cause pain, and the mouth’s interior is difficult to see. Most successfully treated oral cancers were spotted by a dentist during a routine exam long before a patient was aware of the issue.
- Dental education. Regular exams and dental cleanings allow our dental care professionals to educate you on proper at-home care and answer your questions about oral health.
How often should you have your teeth cleaned professionally?
We recommend having your teeth cleaned by our dental hygienist twice a year. At Family Dentistry of Lakeland, we can thoroughly clean your teeth in 30-60 minutes. If your life is hectic, consider having professional teeth cleaning on your lunch hour. Your teeth will feel and look better, and you will return to work knowing you are taking proper care of your teeth, gums, and smile.
How early should a child see a dentist?
Your child should see a dentist by the time they are a year old or when their first baby tooth emerges. This allows us to spot any pediatric oral health issues earlier and treat them appropriately. We can also monitor their dental health as they grow to ensure a healthy smile when they are adults.
What is included in a dental exam?
- Review your medical history and determine if there are any changes since your last appointment.
- A physical exam of the teeth, gums, and interior of the mouth by Dr. Chigurupati. She will check for cavities, decay, infection, or other damage.
- Screening for oral cancers and other potential health issues. We may detect signs of diabetes, heart disease, or other problems.
- Professional cleaning by one of our trained dental hygienists leaves you with clean, polished teeth and gums.
- Digital X-rays are usually taken once a year to spot immediate issues that may be invisible to the naked eye and monitor your oral health over time.
- A review of your at-home oral hygiene routine, including suggestions for how you can improve your oral health.
How is professional teeth cleaning different from brushing and flossing at home?
Brushing and flossing your teeth removes debris from on and around your teeth. They can also remove plaque, the thin, bacterial film that coats the teeth. Once plaque hardens into tartar, it cannot be removed except by a dental professional using specially designed tools.
Our dental hygienist can carefully scrape away tartar and clean the gum pockets around the tooth roots, where brushes and floss cannot reach. A special toothpaste and rotating brush are used to clean the surfaces of the teeth. The toothpaste has a very fine grit that polishes away stains safely without damaging the enamel.
Does dental insurance cover teeth cleanings?
Yes. Nearly all dental insurance covers teeth cleanings every six months to protect your oral health and avoid more expensive complications in the future. Every patient’s budgetary situation is different, so we are happy to discuss yours with you. At a consultation, we present any possible costs upfront to help you navigate your insurance benefits. Our main objective is to help you have a successful oral health experience.
Dr. Chigurupati welcomes new patients. If you would like to schedule a teeth cleaning or dental checkup during your lunch hour or a time convenient for you, please get in touch with our office at Family Dentistry of Lakeland Phone Number 863-687-2759. We look forward to giving you a brighter, healthier smile!